Not only are they SUPER healthy...but the kids just eat them like candy! We also put them in salads, pancakes and of course muffins. When they get to be the best fruit bargain of the summer, (about now) we over buy and then freeze them to use all winter.
SO...this year, we found out that there is a huge blueberry farm right down the hill from us, not even 5 minutes away. So we decided to go picking!
The kids LOVED it! Blueberry bushes are right at their level, and it makes for good picking. In fact, some of the best berries, are low...as adults don't want to bend over to get them...so the kids were able to get those hidden jewels!
I had no idea that they would be so open to it, and not shy away from the overgrown paths, and the glistening spiderwebs abound.
Seriously though, I think Makylie ate more then she gathered.
The owner made a joke that they have considered weighing people on the way in and on the way to find out how many are eating. :)
Maky and I stayed in one field that had smaller berries, while Kevin, Karman and Tyler went to a field that had more plump, huge, berries.
And she ate some more.
And some more....
And....ummmm...still some more.
Tyler and daddy switched buckets and they played a trick on me, telling me that he gathered all of those, (which was more then I got), so I was really impressed until he did his belly laugh and said...we FOOLED you mommy!!!
But he still got a whole bunch! and was really proud!
Karman filled about 2/3 of the can too.
She really likes this kind of stuff...always has, since she was little.
**************************************
Oh look....there she is popping another into her mouth.....The girl had to have eaten her weight in blueberries!
Oh look....there she is popping another into her mouth.....The girl had to have eaten her weight in blueberries!
I like the smaller blueberries as they are a little more tart. So I scurried around picking only the smallest, yet still ripe, berries that I could find.
A job she can do...even being a tiny little thing!
We figured we were carrying them, and no one was complaining of the weight, so it couldn't be that heavy.
Kevin asked me if I grabbed cash from the car, and I said "yes, as long as we have less then 10 pounds we are good"....
We put them all up on the stand to pay....
***
***
***
***
Wait for it
***
***
***
***
We ended up having almost 13 pounds!!!!!!
We cleaned them all, and then needed to dry them off before freezing....
and here they are!
Picture doesn't do it justice, I know....but it is A LOT of berries!
2 comments:
Oh, yummy goodness!
Oh my gosh I miss the berries from Washington so much! We use to go pick them fresh and just put them in our berries in the morning.
How much fun for your family!
Post a Comment