When you look at your LIFE...the GREATEST happinesses...are FAMILY happinesses

Monday, April 13, 2009

From another Mom

So, this blogging world has really surprised me.

I have "met" people online, that I, more than likely, never would have otherwise "met". I have been able to keep up on stories and lives that I never would have even known about. Learned crafts, and recipes from complete strangers and gotten photography opinions from other amateurs!

There are a few blogs that I read that have touched me...some because of the heart-wrenching stories, others because I feel like they are living my same life, telling my same story, thousands of miles away, and as I read their daily, boring, everyday ramblings...that are exactly like mine, I feel like we could be best friends or like I have known them forever. As a SAHM, like so many others, that is just what I am looking for.

We, as moms, as dads, as parents, as people do the best we can with what we know, and as we strive to learn more everyday we can become very close to, as it turns out, complete strangers. It gives us the chance to put ourselves in anothers shoes, whom we don't even know, yet feel an intrinsic connection.

So about a year ago, I was reading a blog that belonged to someone I didn't know...but found that I enjoyed looking at her photography from time to time...so I was. And on her blog she posted pictures a friend had taken for a man and his baby. I loved the pictures, so I then clicked on his blog name which was highlighted. That man was Matt Logelin...if anyone hasn't heard of him (which most now have) here is his blog site... http://www.mattlogelin.com/. I have read his blog most days since. I have felt a connection with his story, his baby...and a need to continue reading. The world, as it has turned out, has since enveloped him in their "stranger" love that the blogging world has allowed.

A while back, on Matt's blog I found the Spohr family blog, http://www.thespohrsaremultiplying.com/ Madeline Alice Spohr, a little girl, born very prematurely to an everyday mom and dad, Heather and Mike. Now, almost 18 months old Maddie was rushed to the hospital for some breathing problems...this was not the first time that this had happened. What was not expected is that beautiful curly haired Maddie would pass away, very unexpectedly on the 7th of April. I feel so empty in this situation...because in the end, though you feel like you know them, you feel like you are neighbors in this cyberworld, you aren't. You don't really know them, and all you can do is send prayer, and wishes across the miles. And that, I do. Spohr family, I am so very sorry for your loss, and can only hope you find comfort in knowing Maddie touched so many lives...thousands of lives...from thousands of miles away. Her spirit lives on with you, and in each of us because her relentless smile is forever etched in our hearts! You are in my thoughts.

As an idea of what this cyber world (and all who actually knew them) can come together and accomplish...the family has asked for donations to the March of Dimes in lieu of flowers etc...and they have raised almost $30,000... This is in addition to thousands in donations that have been given to the family to cover costs. People have made T-shirts, bracelets...hundreds have signed up and formed teams for the March of Dimes walk, all over the country. Many have turned their blog backgrounds purple in memory of Maddie, and to tribute the March of Dimes. People are talking, people are crying...Strangers? No, not really.
**There is a button to the right if you would like to donate**

This is what I mean...We are just a bunch of moms, dads, parents, people...doing the best that we can...and it is so nice to form connections...even if just over the miles, so as to support each other, in these times of need. These times, when really, we simply don't know what to do, or what to say...but the true, raw definition of the human spirit miraculously comes out.

This, is why I write, why I read, and why hang on to the lives of complete strangers whom I feel are my friends...
This is why I blog.

1 comment:

E said...

Raelyn, you really brought me to tears. You have such a way with words.