So, school has come to a close.
I am so happy to see how far Tyler has come this year!
I mean...he can do simple math, he can count to well over 100 (before school started, he could count to around 35), he learned all of his "sight-words" and has such an interest in reading. His knowledge and skills have evolved and he is now reading his early level books to us at night, and doing VERY well at it! He draws detailed, and elaborate pictures now and can write sentences by phonetic sound. He works and plays well with his peers and socially couldn't be happier! He loves his school, his class, his friends and his teacher!
I am SO happy that he developed a love of learning...that he had a good experience in Kindergarten so as to be excited and love the idea of coming back in the fall! It was such a wonderful year, and we had a great teacher and a great group of kids! I couldn't have asked for better!
Funny, it all comes full circle....if I think back...I was so afraid of him going to the big world of school...the world where I can't fully protect him from the people, the experiences, the change, the bullies and the germs. Where he will grow, far more then 10 months worth, in just 10 months.
The world where I, for the first time, had to let go.
What I learned is, in order for our kids to grow, and become who they are destined to become, we have to let them live...to grow, outside of our ever existent shadow. We can still guide and watch them with the goal of protection...but in the end, how they cope has to be up to them, or we are setting them up for failure.
They are all growing so fast, and I wish I could just freeze now, for a tiny while...just to enjoy all it has to offer. To breathe in the innocence, the unconditional love for life and everyone in it, the smiles and the multitude of belly laughs.
That is my reward today and everyday, and the only one I need.
I have happiness for how time turns us into ever-growing, ever-changing, pliable, moldable adaptive people...and also have sadness for how the world requires us to grow and change and adapt...
because sometimes....
I wish it would always be, just like it is today...
No comments:
Post a Comment