When you look at your LIFE...the GREATEST happinesses...are FAMILY happinesses

Thursday, November 12, 2009

ANOTHER HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

It seems like the blink of an eye....
How fast time goes...
I feel like her first day of kindergarten was not so long ago...like learning to ride a two-wheeler was just yesterday. I remember moving when she was in second grade and staying past the move date so she could be there for her Valentine's day party. I loved her third grade teacher, and who she became in her class. She is a fighter...and battled until she not only won but masacred her cancer diagnosis! She had the same fourth grade teacher that her dad had back in the fourth grade...and I remember that she developed a love for writing, and first read Harry Potter.
Middle School, full of turmoil, more-or-less started and then ended with a girl just trying to figure out who she wanted to be, and where she fit in.
So far, high school, has proven to be a bit of a roller coaster...OK...a lot of a roller coaster...but, we are making it through.
This year, she seems to be making some strides! We just have to have LOTS of patience...and try to remember and understand that she is a teenage girl...we have to pray and remind ourselves that she will someday NOT be a teenage girl. :)
I wish with everything in me, that she would HEAR me when I tell her about how little the drama will matter later. How is doesn't matter at all what you wear or who thinks what. That fitting in, is so so much LESS important then standing for who you really are. That what we find, as adults, to be admirable, and stand up has NOTHING to do with who has a cell phone, or is dating, or has had sex, or has done drugs, or who was homecoming queen.
That life gets deeper, and harder...
That it gets so much better.
***
***
***
We went to Red Robin tonight...a family tradition...
They embarassed Karman...also a family tradition. :)
I am all about getting a picture of the ridiculously yummy big bites of birthday happiness.

Even the little kiddos got to join in! Our Red Robin gives little sundaes to the other kids at the table.
Presents were great, as they always are.
She got a couple CDs, a shirt and sweater as well as a gift card from my parents.
Shoes, jeans, fleece and a couple of shirts for debate from us...
But her main gift was a certificate entitling her to choose between getting her ears double pierced, or a class ring (which she really wants)...
She was very excited!

Happy Birthday Karman.
We love you!

2 comments:

Lisa Henderson said...

Oh it is SO true that now I have more respect for someone who has values and morals as opposed to what the wear. I remember starting my first day of college and everything was so big and wondering why I ever thought High School was a big deal. No one cared who anyone was in High School only who it had made us into!

Happy Birthday Karman! May you make it through the rest of your teenage years!

Raelyn said...

Exactly! I so wish she would hear me say the same thing...we try...oh do we try! We are hoping she comes out the other side of these teen years better for having them. We were all there once I suppose!