When you look at your LIFE...the GREATEST happinesses...are FAMILY happinesses

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A Project for my boy!

So this doesn't even represent how ugly this bed was when we got it.
I bought it off of Craigslist for 20 dollars.
To say it was beat up would be an understatement.

It started off black. (these pictures are of the primed furniture....I forgot before's :))
It was covered in scratches, bite marks and stickers.
However, I saw Pottery Barn-like potential!

It had these great lines. These inset bead-board lines.
and I knew we could make it look great!

I have drooled over the blue furniture at Pottery barn forever...just knowing that it was a far off dream. Knowing that not only do we not have that kind of money, but even if we did, I wouldn't ever be able to bring myself to spend it on a bed.
I am a huge fan of knock-off's though. :) (mostly because I can afford them...)
Also, I have had my eyes open for an old classic, solid wood desk for A LONG TIME.

I have scoured the ads for months and months. Never finding exactly what I wanted...or having the perfect things be WAY too far away to get.

All of the sudden, I found it.
Solid wood. Four drawers. Perfect measurements. AND it came with a matching chair!!!!
So.Happy.I.Was!
25 dollars.
It started off a lightly stained wood desk.

So, Kevin sanded the yuck out of the bed. Then, being the fabulous husband that he is...he also stained both the bed and the desk set for me. It was really cold out too...so it wasn't the most fun thing he has ever done. :)
I love him.

Then the painting started.
The beadboard was the hardest part. I had to use the foam roller, and then the brush, and then the roller to get rid of the brush-strokes, and then found some areas that needed to be coated again, so I had to repeat...
Overall....it took about 3 coats.

The color is different then it looks here.
Not so bright....
Ty's room is going to be sports themed...so we are going to get some ball drawer pulls for the desk!

I am so happy with how it turned out!

It is in his room now, and looks great.

It is pretty high off the ground. Higher then most beds. In between a junior loft and a regular twin. HE LOVES IT! There is room for him to play (on his stomach) or hide underneath...and store all of his bedding.
It was a time consuming, hard project during a very cold time of year....
but once done...
SO fulfilling!

Thank you honey for your help!

No comments: