When you look at your LIFE...the GREATEST happinesses...are FAMILY happinesses

Friday, June 25, 2010

TEN YEARS!!!

Ten years ago today, I married my best friend.
I don't say that lightly either.
I am a stronger person because of him.
We are stronger because of each other.

Last night...I sat, like I do so many nights, and starred at this man who made my life so amazing, while he slept. He didn't even know he was making my life better as we trucked along together...but over the years he has.
(He proposed to me in Stanley Park in Vancouver BC, 1999.)
(And this, is the peacock that chased us right afterward.)
Looking back, we were just kids. (no really, look at us). We are so different now. Our cores are the same of course...the things that made us fall in love...but we are so much stronger...so much better now. We have grown so much, matured so much.
(June 25, 2000)
Ten years seems like nothing now. I have noticed that as we have gotten older, the distance of time has changed. What used to seem like a lifetime, now feels like the blink of an eye. Seriously...
*****************************************
So Kevin and I met in high school...doing drama. I fell for him, as it didn't take long for me to realize that he was reliable and trustworthy, smart and very hard working.
(This is us in 1995)
We started dating when I was just a junior.
We have been together now, for 16 years.
I am 33...so we have almost been together for as long as we weren't.
Yet it feels like it was all just yesterday! I mean it really does.

Our vows were 10 years ago...but it feels like it all just happened. And yet, at the same time, it feels as though we have been together forever. Does that make any sense???

I sometimes don't know, how we have gotten from point A to point B.
There have been so many obstacles...some that at the time, seemed so unsurmountable...but we persevered...we will always perseverve.

We went through the typical youthful relationship issues.
Not having enough money...trying so hard to make ends meet...
In the end, looking back...it made us better. All of it. It was hard, but it made us the people...the couple that we are today.
I know people say all of the time that their spouse is their best friend...
Mine truly is.

I honestly do not know what I would be without him.
I just adore him.
I love that we have come to the point where things are just not so serious anymore. There is an unspoken trust and bond.

I am proud we are married...that we communicate and touch, laugh and smile, disagree and work through those disagreements...that at the end of the day, I can still say he is my favorite person to talk to, to laugh with, to watch tv with...anything.
I know a lot of people who are not so fortunate.

He just gets me.
I get him.
He is my safe place.
Happy Tenth Babe...can't wait for the next!

No comments: