When you look at your LIFE...the GREATEST happinesses...are FAMILY happinesses

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Tylers Birthday Party

This year, for Tyler's 7th birthday, he decided to have an ALL-STAR sports party!

He is so into sports.
He loves them ALL. He plays baseball, basketball, soccer...football with anyone who will play with him...and he LOVES to run and swim as well!
He is just all around, all about sports.
SO...the party was very fitting!

We invited all of his friends.
For the first time ever he got to have his party on his ACTUAL birthday.
He was SO excited!
I made the sign for a ball toss game, and for the pictures.
I took a picture of each of the kids behind it to give to them after the party!

Here are his goodie bags.
They were filled with ALL things, sports.
From Baby Ruth bars to game "clappers" and soccer whistles.
There were a lot of fun things inside, and the kids loved them!

We did dinner, as the party was from 3-6.
We BBQ'd hot dogs...had all the fixin's and lots of yummy sides.
This was the FIRST year that I didn't make his cake...but it just got to the point where there was so much to do...I needed to have one thing that wasn't on me to complete...so we broke down and bought a Costco cake.

The day was cloudy, windy and it just screamed rain ALL DAY!!!
It was designed to be an outdoor party...and I just prayed all day that it would hold out for us!

So, in our front yard, the kids came and started on the art project...
We had them decorating pennats.
I had all of the supplies out and the kids had a good time. It was just a little windy and chilly at that point.
We decorated with all of Ty's trophies, and pennats from his room.
One of my favorite things that I don't have a picture of, is that we hung a "clothes line" out along the top of the fence...so when the kids were done decorating we hung their masterpiece to dry...but they also became a decoration!
It was fun.
******************************************
We also did a "egg" hunt. Back at Easter I bought a TON of sports eggs to fill up and use at his party. So some got filled with candy and some got money.
After the craft, I opened the gate, gave the kids empty lunch sacks, and they went on their hunt.
It was a HIT...the kids loved it. It occupied a lot of time, because we knew there were more out there that weren't found...so the kids would just keep searching.
After they were done...they all counted their balls and shared accordingly, so that everyone had close to equal amounts.
They did that WITHOUT being asked.
I love these kids! We just had such a great group of friends!
******************************************

We played with balloons.
The kids had to try to keep their balloon from hitting the ground.
Proved a challenge in the wind!

There was "Target Practice"....whiffle balls were to be thrown through the hole...

"Basketball"
This was actually foxtail little footballs. The kids had to stand behind a line and try to get as many as they could in the bucket.

"Frisbee Toss"
They had to toss the frisbees through the hula hoop.

"Goal-Stop"
Of course we did an obstacle-course soccer game. They ran through the cones and had to make goals. -----------------------------------------------
After we had played all of the games, the kids could go back on their own and play whatever games that they enjoyed. They ended up doing a lot of challenges with each other.
Eventually they wound down on the swing set.
I decided NOT to do prizes this year.
I just didn't know how to keep it fair..and plus they had their bags full of scavenger hunt finds.
They didn't even notice.
Here we openend presents.
I always take pictures of my kids and the "gift-giver" together to give out with the thank you cards.
While the kids were winding down and presents were being opened, Kevin BBQ'd the hotdogs.
Then they all had dinner.
During dinner, they played "telephone". It was pretty cute listening to 6/7 year olds play that game. :)

Then it was cake and ice cream time.
As usual, I pre-scooped the ice cream into muffin tins for easy distribution.
I can never say enough times, what a time saver that is!
It was a great day.
Tyler had so much fun...
and I just soak in every minute of the people these kids are becoming. Not just my own either...I have watched all of these kids grow since the first day of Kindergarten.
I truly enjoy seeing them play and interact with one another.
Our teachers have said many times that this is a "very special" group of kids.
Tyler's first grade teacher, Mrs. Pratt, who has taught for over 30 years, told me that "a group like this, MAYBE, comes around once every 10 years."
She wasn't kidding...there is something special about them.
I hope they all stay friends...and that when they are seniors in high school, they are able to sit around and say to one another...."remember Kindergarten" or "remember that one birthday party..."
Happy Birthday Tyler.
We love you!

No comments: