When you look at your LIFE...the GREATEST happinesses...are FAMILY happinesses

Thursday, September 24, 2009

My baby's first day of PRESCHOOL

It was a hard decision for us. Makylie has had a speech impediment since...well...she should have started talking, but didn't.

It was determined at her 3 year old appointment that she was going to need to be evaluated for speech therapy. So we did.

She was accepted into the Washington State no child left behind program at a local school. Basically, a preschool which includes speech therapy. OR, she could do speech therapy by itself.

We opted for school...because we TRULY felt that she needed socialization. She is SO completely dependant on Tyler. She sits with him, and plays with him, and copies him. When he isn't around, she talks about when he will be. We knew she had to learn some, how to make some of her own friends.

School was 3 days a week....2 hours a day...it was good.

So all summer we new she was going. She was excited...we were excited.

Then they contacted us to create Maky's goals for the year...so we met with them, and that we did.

Then, I found out, that Makylie was going to be in a class with only 4 kids...3 being boys! The teacher told me that 90% of the time, the boys are there for behavior issues, but couldn't tell me about these boys specifically for confidentiality reasons. All of the sudden I was having concerns. It was certainly not going to help her socially.

Since my SOLE reason for sending her TO SCHOOL (rather then just doing speech therapy), was for her own benefit of learning how to socialize, especially with other little girls...I didn't know what to do...
*****************************
I stewed on it some....and was really feeling like it wasn't the right decision...in my gut, I knew it wasn't going to be what I was looking for.

So I quickly took her out of that program.

I enrolled her in speech therapy at Tyler's school, right down the street.

Then, I got very lucky, and found her a different preschool program! Because we still did know that she needed some social interaction with other kids.

So, here is her cute little school...
The program is at a church that is as close a walk as Tyler's school, just the other direction.
And her playground.
She goes 2 days a week, for only 2 hours a day! Which is SO perfect!
She was so excited on her first day. She looked so darn cute, and was so brave.

This is her school bag that she made! She is SO proud of it!

She was brave, but I thought when it came right down to me leaving, she was going to panic, and cry, as she has never really been away from me.

However....THAT WAS NOT THE CASE!!!!! She barely even looked back at me. I had to go say goodbye to her...
Then, from the other side of the room where she was sitting in circle-time, she yelled...

"Bye mommy...look 'dis giwl has me same sues"

So cute....

I held back a few tears, and walked away...

All alone on a weekday, for basically the first time in 6 years.

Oh she is just such a bright spot in my day...it was strange, very very strange, starting the car and pulling away.

Then when the day was over, I picked her up, and she ran into my arms, which was JUST THE BEST!

She made a Fruit Loop necklace, which she then proceeded to eat.

She told me all about her day...the songs they sang, and the book they read. Sitting criss-cross applesauce, and that she even didn't eat snack because she didn't like it.

Makylie, you are just growing up so fast.

You are so much a part of my every day...and I can't believe that you are experiencing the world beyond me. I am happy for that...but it is so hard to for me at the same time.

As I sit here now, you are still my tiny little, long haired, baby, with such a spark in your wild little brown eyes.

As those eyes become more independent, I cant help but, feel a little left behind.

But, I am SO proud of you!

We love you!

Welcome to preschool baby girl!

1 comment:

Lisa Henderson said...

I loved reading each of the kiddos stories. I will pray for Karmen this year. I hated 9th and 10th grade but it really turned around for me in my Junior year! Good for her to be in debate...although I wouldnt love being her mother either :)

Hope your having a great week!