I would say that when it was ALL done...I easily spent 20, spread out, hours on it.
Then I covered that open side with paper mache...and added 6 layers to it to make it as strong as all the other sides. Of course, letting each one dry before applying the next.
Here it is all dry...the hole is to add the candy. Later I will cover that hole with duct tape. I also made sure to remember where that hole is on the pinata...because in case it was too strong and the kids were unable to break it, I knew it would be a bit of a weak point...and a place we could easily help it along.


Then for the dome top...I just used posterboard, attached with duct tape.
Then I covered that with paper mache, but I only did 3 coats, as it doesn't hold any candy, and is only to finish the shape. Its structure doesn't need to be strong...
So, I contemplated painting it...I knew I could do that easily. I thought about using streamers like the kind at the store....but they don't make a gold or a brown streamers...I thought about tissue paper, wrapped around the end of a pencil (totally old school) but didn't know how I could make it look right...so, anyway...this is what I came up with...
This is gold gift wrap tissue paper. I cut it into strips, and then frayed the ends. At this same time, I added holes to the side in the lower, stronger part (where the candy has been added) and strung rope from one, through the middle, and out the other hole...in order to be hung from our deck...
At this point, I was kind of winging it. I didn't know how it was going to look. But, as I applied the tissue, the frayed ends, just automatically curled up...I couldn't believe it...
So then, it took a while, but I did cover the whole thing...
And it was time to put the details on...
I used streamers.
********
WAIT FOR IT
********
WAIT FOR IT
********
No really,
WAIT FOR IT!!!!!!
**********
*********
*******
******
*****
****
***
**
I was SO proud of how it came out!
I told Kevin that none of those darn kids better touch my pinata! :)
It was THE hit of the party for sure, and I was so happy with how it came out!
The MEMORIES made the time and mess and work SOOOOO worth it....
Would I do it again...???????
I already have next years planned out!
Here are Makylie and Tyler at the party...(post and pictures of that still to come...)
1 comment:
It looks amazing! Seriously!
Im so impressed and the fact that you would do it again...you are SUPER mom!
Post a Comment