When you look at your LIFE...the GREATEST happinesses...are FAMILY happinesses

Friday, October 29, 2010

Artists at work!...

One of our very favorite parts of this season....
THE PUMPKINS!

The kids each pick their own out, every year.
They plan how they are going to carve, and then do their best to make it happen.
I love to watch all of them draw it out...and then poke and prod trying to get that perfect face.

Makylie still needs help, of course, but she planned it all out, and then told me what to do step-by-step. Mainly she wanted a giant smile with two big teeth. All on its own...that makes me happy.

Karman decided to go for tradition this year. Last year she did a pretty elaborate stencil type face and it took a couple hours. So, this year she went simple.
Then his tooth broke...but she just decided to pretend like she did it on purpose.
It turned out great!

I helped Ty cut out his mouth...but for the most part, he did the rest.
He literally had his all drawn out on paper. He has a very analitical mind like that.
It turned out pretty close to his original...
Though, it is hard to put ears on a pumpkin. :)
I really like to see the different personalities come out from my kids.
Makylie is just getting to that point, where she remembers from one holiday to the next...but her little breath of fresh air attitude in everything we do...because to her it is all new and exciting, is wonderful. I love still having someone who needs and genuinely wants my help too....
There aren't too many times anymore where Karman just sits around with us for picture taking opportunities. She has her own things to do, and isn't too into the everyday "family things" anymore...which is normal. It is fun to sit and watch her carve a pumpkin, just like I have done with her every single year since she was little. It is fun because she just acts like a little kid, and giggles, and draws her face on, and for just a moment, I can forget all of the drama that goes with having a 17 year old.
Tyler, brings his boyishness to everything he touches. If it isn't a Star Wars Darth Vader pumpkin, then it is a monster, or Frankenstein, or "something with fangs mommy"...Funny, some may see that as gross, or bad or violent or whatever....BUT...if you have a boy...you know...it is just how boys are. Because with that...Tyler brings such a warmth to everything. He is such a happy light in every persons life that he touches...I mean, who can see something wrong when Darth Vader is fighting a teddy bear under a rainbow. Seriously!
For me...It brings back childhood in a way that just can't be duplicated.
Where in the responsibilities of my everyday...
In the things that get hard or too real...
In the chaos of my mind because of all that needs to get done...
I can sit on the floor and stick my hand into a concave of goo, and pull out pumpkin seeds, and get excited because I get to roast them later while some of my favorite people in the world are out trick-or-treating.
It is just a happy place for me.

No comments: