When you look at your LIFE...the GREATEST happinesses...are FAMILY happinesses

Friday, November 12, 2010

Happy Eighteenth...

November 12...1992

I could go on for hours about how I can not believe that Karman is 18 today.
But I just did that in her senior photoshoot post.

She is so not ready to be 18.
I wish we could shelter her from everything out there...
That we could teach her in a way that she would REALLY hear us, everything that she needs to know, and to throw out the things she shouldn't worry about.
I wish I could make her see that she has the right to self-confidence, and that she shouldn't care about what people think, what they say, or any of the high school drama, because that is just not the way life really is.
At least not the good parts of life.
***************************

(18 treats to take to school and share...and 18 treats on her card.)

And that too.
I wish we could make her truly hear us, when we say that LIFE GETS BETTER.
So much better.
That all of the things that seem, SO important now, just aren't.
That the battles around here that start with no big deal...and end with doors slamming, and words being thrown about as though they have no meaning...are so not necessary.
That getting her way, is never going to and should never win out to her safety and well-being...and if that makes us the worst parents in the world...
well, we love her enough to have that be OK with us for now.

I wish for my daughter, nothing but the most amazing of everything.
She is amazing...and can do amazing things...
Now...if only she could really, truly, see that!
Happy Birthday Karman,
We love you!

No comments: